Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Homeschool Science

Well, someone said to me - "you don't blog about homeschool..." yeah - I haven't blogged about it alot. Mostly because I am still trying to figure out what we are doing and just trying to accomplish what we need to - let alone take pictures and document it. It's a bummer - I wish I could document more. But that time will come as I get my bearings!
But we have been doing Science on Wednesdays with our friends - and the kids LOVE LOVE IT!

Today was all about seeds - we have been talking about flowers and pollination - so today we discussed how seeds grow. We planted bean seeds in wet paper towels. We had intended to plant some of the 10 different garden seeds we bought, but we ran out of time so that will have to wait till next week.

So tonight after dinner - I spontaneously had the kids make books
about the life cycle of a seeds and flowers. Ryan dove in and was done before Erica - he just goes for it. Note to self though - provide a little more structure. Despite my verbal guidance, Ryan's final picture was about a "jet, some dust and a different flower" (than the ones he had drawn on the earlier pages).
Erica didn't finish because she has to think about [agonize] over every detail.
So she will finish hers tomorrow.
Nate always jumps in and participates with us -most of the time imitating whatever Ryan is saying and doing.

I absolutely LOVE homeschooling. I love being a part of their day to day learning - I love having them home with me and interacting with them as we clean house, do dishes, do laundry, change diapers... and do school! I love that they play together - Erica plays cars and Ryan plays house and Littlest Pet Shop.

We stopped by the kid's old school the other day - it was fun to visit, but that's all. I wondered if the kids would be nostalgic and maybe say they wanted to go back there - but they haven't said a word.

Oh, it is HARD HARD HARD - LONG days. And childcare can be downright impossible - but for us, it is worth it.

I love our family.

And some of this little diva thrown in for good measure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're such a better woman than I am!

Jill said...

Rockin' Sister, Just Rockin!