Friday, September 13, 2013

No one is stirring…

This home is increasingly… well, loud. With growing kiddos comprised of 2 active, growing boys who are always bouncing or running or banging on something, a little girl who has learned how to raise her voice to be heard, and a 12 year old who is full of thoughts to share and just enjoys conversation, and all 4 of them with lots and lots and LOTS of questions – it can be pretty constant noise here.

It is 11:06pm now. The kids are finally in bed – they got to stay up late tonight. Leroy went to run a late night errand. The house is SO.VERY. QUIET. Sometimes my ears echo with the silence.

DSC04847

Growing up, I always listened to music while I studied. I loved music that would fill my ears and surround me with harmonies and melodies that I could sing (loudly) along with. And I still LOVE music, but in the past 6 0r 7 years, I have increasingly craved silence. I find it healing, restoring, and just plain peaceful. And I will pick music that is quieter, more melodic.

Seasons are interesting, aren’t they? I am finding that I am more introverted that I used to be – and I used to be NOT INTROVERTED AT ALL, so I sure wouldn’t count myself as an introvert – but I am finding that I am restored in the silence and that the busy-ness of life is quite draining lately.

DSC04811

A friend asked me if there was something I could drop in order to calm my life down a bit. But I am not involved in many things at all – homemaking, homeschooling, and leadership in my homeschool organization. That is all. Everything else is just slots on my calendar: debate, community day, baseball, appointments. So I think I need to work on finding those moments of silence amidst the life that is what my life is right now. Busy. Loud. Draining. But exactly what I am supposed to be doing – I just have to learn how to balance it and find healing in the midst of it.

DSC04880

Jenn