Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I can READ!!!

So as something that comes (or goes) with having multiple kids is the lack of time for hobbies. One of my FAVORITE hobbies i have always had is reading. I used to devour books and have really missed it with the increasing size of my family. I have had times that I have been able to read a book here and there but lately I have really been able to catch up. There are a number of topics that I read about but I have to tell you about my two favorites right now...

"Why Gender Matters" by Leonard Sax.
This book was recommended at a conference that I went to recently (more about that later) and it is FANTASTIC! As a mother of both genders and a woman who was not raised around boys and had a general lack of knowledge about them growing up - this book had much to say about why we are made different and why we should account for those differences. Very readable for the average person but Mr Sax uses a lot of research and study reference which I absolutely love. I have read it through once and will read through it again and underline to my hearts content. There is so much information in this book and I have found myself putting it to use already in my dealings with my kids. Gives insight into adult behavior too - but we wont go into that now... If I could just get Leroy to read it...

"Raising Cain" by Kindlon and Thompson. This book is very in-depth. I am just about finished with it. Presents much information based on the authors' many years of practice and gives many ideas to reach the boys of this generation who are sorely lacking in emotional vocabulary. Fascinating and difficult to put down. I have found myself thinking of what I have read as I go about my day and looking forward to picking it up again!! I appreciate how they approach the struggles of boys very non-judgementally and give real life solutions and ideas. Extremely well written.


I bought 3 Audubon Society books - but this one is really great. It covers everything from stars to bugs, trees to cloud formations. the kids and I have used it tons already and it is so much fun. We were walking in the woods across the street taking pictures of different plants (I love digital cameras!!)and I sent Erica over to take a picture of a fern without naming it for her. My goal was to have her look it up and see that there are lots of different types of ferns. As I am trying to point it out to her a little off the trail, she says "you mean that fern? Why do you want me to take a picture of the fern?" "Just cause Erica". So Ryan tromps out there ahead of her and says "Yup, its a fern. Not a sword fern though". I asked him how he knew that and he just looked at me like I was dumb and says "cause a sword fern looks different!" and keeps on walking. Maybe I am creating little nature monsters -but I LOVE IT!!! Thanks Mom and Dad for the Amazon gift certificate - I have already put all the books I bought to good use!!!

No comments: