Thursday, October 10, 2013

Her two front teeth...

Amanda's poor front teeth have had a hard life. When she was 2 (right before she broke her leg...) she fell off the porch swing and put her teeth through her lip. One tooth turned grey, but over a few months, it came back and looked fine for a while.

But she has banged them multiple times over the years, and in the past year or so, both have turned a tan color. 

This last summer, she fell in our trailer and knocked one of them almost out. I immediately pushed it back in and hoped for the best. She had a regular check up that next week and he was concerned about the right tooth and thought it might develop into something, but it never did. They both remained slightly loose though, and bugged her.

Last week though, she banged into Nathan and came crying to me that she had banged her tooth. Sunday night, I discovered a big bump on her gums above her left tooth.

This is what they saw on Xray on Monday morning - 


Gnarly.

3 days of antibiotics and this was at 9 am this morning

BEFORE: 


And at 9:45, this was the AFTER: 


Since they were both obviously deteriorating, and were loose and discolored already, there wasnt much sense in doing a root canal and trying to save them. Her adult teeth are right there and will help keep the space open until they descend completely over about a year the dentist estimates. 

It wasnt completely pain free, so she was a little sad as you can see in the picture. But she quickly recovered when she saw herself in the mirror. She thinks it is cool, but she keeps saying it feels "thuper weird." I am so thankful for a wonderful dentist and caring staff who took good care of her. And me too - it was HARD to see her go through this. I had to look away when they were giving her the shots and I totally teared up when I heard them pulling the teeth out. Ugh. 

Every single person in the dentist office told me and her that she can sing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" at Christmas this year...  I think I am gonna get a little sick of hearing that for the next year...

2 comments:

Pam and Steve said...

Poor Amanda...We hope she feels better tomorrow! Two teeth for the
Tooth Fairy!! Look under your pillow in the morning!
Love to you, Gramma Pam

SB said...

oh man i haven't checked your blog in awhile. maybe because there's not usually a lot on here :) but now I see I've missed a lot! tell mandy she looks thuper cute, even if it feels thuper weird. :)