Thursday, January 29, 2009

Huh. Not sure this worked.

So we learned about doing unto others as you would have them do to you. Good in concept. However, something got lost in the translation and now they are doing TO others what they DID to you . Tried to remedy it but have not succeeded well.

So I hear Erica cry out and Ryan say - YOU KICKED ME!!! So I point toward the bathroom (the place of discipline) to both of them, not sure what I was going to do. We get in there and spontaneously I say to Erica - Hit him. She looks at me and smacks him in the arm. Ryan looks at me - I say, Hit her. Then to Erica, Hit him. Ryan, Hit her. Back and forth they go - then they start laughing and giggling. I get up and as I am walking out, say, get it out of your system, come out when you are done.

I got to the laundry room next door and listen to them whack on each other - totally laughing. Then I hear Erica say, We are done now, dont you think Ryan? Ryan says (still laughing), Yeah, I am sore. Erica, Yeah, I am sore too, lets go. They go laughing down the hall back to their projects that I had assigned.

I dont know if it was right, but it worked in this moment and maybe they will think about how they treat each other more???

All for input on this one...

6 comments:

Jill said...

ROTFLOL!!! OMG, sister, how many times I have wanted to do this with my 2... Please let me know if this particular method of "discipline" works for you - or them! YOU ARE TOTALLY ROCKIN'!!!

Pam and Steve said...

I love it! Sounds to me like it worked. So funny! DAD

SB said...

beautiful. you know they won't forget it. not like they forget our verbal diarhea!! (at least i'm guilty of it anyway!)

SB said...

oh yeah, and jill, my gut feeling is not to try it on your boys, you may end up in the emergency room before they decide to stop!!! .... :) oh just kidding, you know i love them to death - just a different dynamic between 2 brothers!

Pam and Steve said...

I wonder what would have happened if Erica had socked him in the chin or face instead of the shoulder? Makes me think I agree with SB regarding Jill's brood and the emergency room!!

Jill said...

Ok Ok Ok - I get it!!! This probably wouldn't be the greatest ideas for my boys... but can you just imagine? Bloody noses, bite marks and MANY bruises to show for the fight that "my mom told us to!" Oh the amount of explaining that I might have to do!