Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tempt-Your-Tummy Tuesday– Crescent Rolls

I have been on a serious baking kick – and have had a blast with it!

Saturday, I thought I would throw together a double batch of crescent rolls – my mom’s famous recipe – but I didn’t really plan my time well, and ended up with half the batch rolled out and the other half in it’s first rise and I had to leave the house for the night. So, I covered them with plastic wrap and stuck them in the fridge. I could only hope I wouldn’t come home to exploding dough…

But I discovered that this dough is very forgiving, it pretty much stopped right where I left it. So the next morning, I put them all out on the counter while we went to church, and came home to perfectly rising rolls. I rolled out the other half, they also rose perfectly and now I have a nice stock of rolls for the freezer!

DSC05166

Mom’s Famous Crescent Rolls

2 pkg yeast (or 2 scant Tb)
1/2 c warm water (110-115 deg)
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c sugar
1 t salt
4 ½ to 4 ¾ c flour
2 eggs
¼ c melted butter

1. Scald milk (3 min on medium high).

2. Add shortening, sugar and salt to scalded milk; stir to dissolve. Let sit to cool slightly.

3. Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast over water and stir to moisten all.

4. Pour milk mixture into mixing bowl. Add 1 ½ cup sugar to mixture. Beat well 1 minute.

5. Add in yeast and eggs. Stir just till incorporated.

6. Slowly add remaining flour to make soft dough that leaves the side of the bowl.

7. Turn out onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and silky and not sticky.

8. Place in lightly greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover with moist towel or plastic wrap and set in warm place to rise until doubled; 1-1.5 hours.

9. Punch down and turn out to floured board. Divide in half. Roll out one half to 14” circles, cut with pizza cutter into 16 pie shaped pieces. Roll up loosely, starting at wide end and place on baking sheet.

10. Brush tops with melted butter. Let rise until doubled; 30-45 minutes.

11. Place in preheated 375 degree oven, bake 12-15 minutes or until golden.

12. Serve warm with butter and jam or just eat them straight off the pan… oh YUM!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah HELLLOOOO, you forgot to mention the dark chocolate inside... hahaha

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH, ARE YOU NESTING???? ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS?