Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tempt-Your-Tummy Tuesday - Caramel Sticky Buns

One of our family traditions is that we have breakfast for dinner on Sunday nights. I have visions of having a pancake feed for my kids and whatever friends show up in the teen years… makes me smile to think about it. Those days will come sooner than I think…
SONY DSC                       Anyway, we usually have french toast, but we didn't make it to the store to get Safeway’s French Toast Bread (YUM!!!) and we were tired of pancakes and waffles, so I opened up my favorite cookbook – circa 1972 and wandered through it looking for something new for breakfast. I found something new… and with good results!
I will list the recipe as it is in the cookbook – but then give some thoughts at the end.




Caramel Sticky Buns
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups buttermilk baking mix (Bisquick)
  • 2 Tb sugar
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 2/3 cup light cream
  • 1 egg
  • 36 pecan halves

1. Heat oven to 400.
2. In each of 12 muffin cups, place 2 tsp each butter and brown sugar.
3. Place in oven for 2 minutes to melt.
4. Combine remaining ingredients except pecan halves.
5. Place 3 pecan halves on butter-sugar mixture in each muffin cup.
6. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (should be about 2/3 full).
7. Bake about 15 minutes, until golden on top.
8. Immediately invert pan and gently remove buns to prevent sticking.

Thoughts:
  • I melted the butter – that made it infinitely easier to divide between the muffin cups.
  • TOO MUCH nutmeg!! I will use a ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon next time.
  • I used milk and a splash of whipping cream I had left over. I think all milk would be fine.
  • I doubled the recipe because I didn’t think there would be enough with just 12 muffins. But the muffins are huge and very filling – the muffin cups were almost completely full before baking and we only ate 9 of them. I will probably make a single batch but stretch the batter out to make 16 or 18 muffins, increasing the butter and brown sugar for in the cups to use the 2 teaspoon each cup.
  • We didn’t use pecans – no one in our family likes nuts. But you could easily do that and they would be very pretty.
  • The sugar syrup really stayed in the pans when I inverted them, and you cant lose that yummy stuff!! So I used my hand and removed each muffin individually, rotating them a couple times to gather up the yumminess before pulling them out.
  • I bet these would freeze great -

No comments: