Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday - Garlic Cheddar Bread

SONY DSC                       Wow – it has been a LONG time since I have posted a TYT!!!

I have had this recipe for a while, but found it the other day when I was looking for something different to make and BOY will we be making this more! Super YUM! This is a dinner-table picture – Leroy said, “You better take a picture of that yumminess before it is all gone!”

Cheddar Garlic Bread

  • 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 T. yeast
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 T. butter or margarine
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 3 t. italian herbs, optional
  • 1 1/2 c. shredded Sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I didn’t have sharp and used regular – it was FINE!)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced , amount to taste.

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 c. flour and yeast.

2. Add the milk, butter or margarine, sugar and salt to a small saucepan. Heat until warm and the butter is completely melted. Add to mixing bowl and stir by hand or beat with an electric mixer until combined. Slowly add remaining flour until the dough comes together and is no longer sticky. Add 1 1/4 c. cheese (reserve remaining cheese) and garlic until combined. Knead for 5-8 minutes.

3. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow to rise for at least 1 hour. It really does need this long.

4. Punch dough down and remove from bowl. Form dough into an oval-shaped loaf and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

5. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes, until golden and hollow sounding when tapped.

6. Melt 1/4 cup butter and dissolve 1/2 t garlic powder in it, brush over the top of the loaf. Serve immediately!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Totally agree with Leroy, that is udder YUMMINESS!!! Definately going to try this one!

LilPrecious said...

I think I'm going to have to try this one too - I have been wanting to get James baking and cooking more anyway! Junior Masterchef is on TV here and it is inspiring me to get the boys in the kitchen!!

SB said...

ok yum! might just have to try that out tonight!