Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tempt-Your-Tummy Tuesday - Toffee Topped Bars

I can't believe that I have never posted this recipe - it is SUCH a favorite!

Here is the recipe - It is the only card I have from this recipe binder I had. It has been used and abused!

I love writing on recipes when I make it and any comments I have... It is one of Leroy's favorites!

I pretty much have this recipe memorized...

Toffee-Topped Bars

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 egg

Topping:
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 pan.
2. Combine brown sugar and flour in bowl, cut in butter.
3. Remove 1 cup of brown sugar mix and set aside.
4. To remainder of brown sugar mix, add baking powder and salt, stir to combine.
5. Add vanilla, milk, and egg. Mix until combined - it will be lumpy.
6. Pour batter into pan.
7. Spread 1 cup set-aside brown sugar mix evenly over batter.
8. Combine walnuts and chocolate chips. Fold in coconut. Sprinkle over top.
9. Bake 35 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Cool completely before cutting with a serrated knife.
11. YUM!


No one in my family like walnuts or coconut, so I leave those out - it is just fine without. And really, don't cut into it before it is pretty much cooled. The cake part gets really gooey and balls up.

No comments: