So I realized as I wrote this that the name is slightly misleading. 1. Because I didn’t add the chicken to it (forgot) and 2. because the tortillas are really tortilla chips added AFTER as a topping. Whatever, it was YUMMY!!
I started with a couple of recipes on AllRecipes (search Chicken Tortilla Soups I and II), but modified as I went along based on what I had. It was so good that I have been craving it ever since – and amazingly enough, so has the rest of my family, including Leroy who is not a fan of soups at all.
[Chicken] Tortilla Soup1 TB olive oil
1 small onion, chopped or minced, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced or more to taste
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
2 cans chicken broth, or 4 cups (veggie broth would work fine for my vegetarian friends out there…)
¾ cup water
¾ cup milk (or all water for more of a broth-y soup)
1 can cubed or crushed tomatoes, blended in food processor if you don’t like chunks of tomatoes (we dont)
1 can black beans, partially drained
1 can white beans, partially drained
1 can corn, partially drained
2 chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed or shredded (your choice)
Topping Ideas:
Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
Tortilla chips, whole or crushed
Sour cream
Green onions
Fresh cilantro
Directions:
1. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft.
2. Add chili powder, oregano, and cumin to onion and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining spices, broth, water, milk, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then decrease to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add beans, corn, and chicken. Bring back to a boil, simmer 10 minutes more.
5. Taste test – add more salt, garlic, or cumin to taste.
6. Serve with desired garnishes… YUM!!!
Serves 3 adults and 6 hungry kids, with seconds. I suppose that if I had remembered to add chicken, it would have filled them up faster - whatever, it was great for a COLD day!
No comments:
Post a Comment