Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Magic Kisses

I just had a mommy moment -

Ryan has long believed in the magic of Mommy kisses. It is particularly amazing when it is just a little scrape and a good wet kiss makes the white scrape magically disappears. His belief in the magic is so strong that my close friend Catherine's daughter Crysten had an owie when she was at our house, he dragged her to me and said - "mommy, you kiss it. Crysten - mommy's kisses are magic - she will make it all better." There is such assurance in his belief - it is intimidating. Crysten wouldn't even let her mom kiss her owie one time - "no only Miss Jenn has magic kisses." Yikes!!

Well, today Ryan got a pretty good cut on the palm of his hand and he came flying to me, tears streaming - "Mom I need your magic kisses - I don't want it to hurt anymore!!" I held him and cried myself - forgive me for going deep - but it occurred to me that my kisses will not be able to solve the owies of his world for much longer... I kissed it anyway. Then he saw blood and thought that all his blood was gonna come out - so we had a talk about why an owie bleeds (nurse mommy comes out). But even though my kisses didn't work this time - a dinosaur bandaid, some ointment and some fancy gauze wrapped around his palm to hold the bandaid on went far to restoring his faith in mommy magic. One time he said he was glad that God gave him a nurse for a mommy - so I would know how to take care of him. I think that is what my mother in law said when Leroy married me... oh my. And I thought Nate was the reincarnation of my husband as a child... maybe I actually got two?

Oh to be trusted to this depth. Some days I am in awe of this role I have been given "Mommy" and other days - oh I would give it up for a bit to have a massage or a day to myself or an uninterrupted nap. Bliss of different kinds.

But someday I will not remember the pain of the moments of my life right now and I will look at the people God created and choose release them to what they are called to. All FOUR of them. May I continue to work to be worthy of this title "Mommy". I have so much to learn and re-learn.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh the power of a mommy. So intimidating to think that our kids think that we have that much power. But what a blessing that we can fix some things that easily...

Love you sister.

Kassie said...

Thank you... I think I needed the reminder you so beautifully shared, that another Mommy moment is coming. They seem to take forever to get here but when they come I am overwhelmed with them. I think God should keep tabs on all the "mommy"s we hear in our lifetime and let us trade them in for time with him. :D
You are a blessing, friend. Only a few more weeks to go!! Yippee!!!! Love you!