Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tempt-your-Tummy Tuesday - Refridgerator Bran Muffins

This is a tried-and-true family favorite. Ok, Leroy doesn't like them but that is a whole other issue... I grew up with this recipe and my kids love them. I have shared this recipe with a number of friends of mine and they love it too.

Refrigerator Bran Muffins - from Aunt Ev through my mom.

2 cups All Bran Cereal
2 cups boiling water
1 cup margarine or butter, softened or melted.
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking soda
5 cups flour
2 cups Bran Flakes
4 cups buttermilk *

In an extra large mixing bowl, pour boiling water over All Bran. Stir to make sure all cereal is wet. Add marg/butter, sugar, and eggs. Mix well with hand-held mixer or by hand. Mix flour, soda, salt, and bran flakes together. Add to All Bran mixture alternating with buttermilk *. Make desired number of muffins, filling the tins 2/3 full, using either with greased muffin pans or in muffin liners. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 till browned nicely.

Put remaining batter in container and place in the fridge. It will keep for up to 6 weeks (if it even lasts that long).
This makes enough for about 6 dozen muffins, I think.


Notes:
* To make buttermilk. Add 1 Tb vinegar or lemon juice to cup measure, add milk to make 1 cup. (4 Tbs + milk to make 4 cups)
- I prefer greased muffin cups to muffin liners. The muffins do not come out of the liners well while fresh from oven and that is the best way to eat them- Some people like to add raisins or other dried fruits. I suggest putting some in each muffin cup after you pour the batter.
- Other people like to add chocolate chips. Add to filled muffin tins.

1 comment:

SB said...

We love these - just finished the batter! i do like the raisins, but they all sink to the bottom of the mixture every time, so it has to be stirred. I like the idea of putting them in each cup, but it depends how moist you want them to be, as they moisten up really well sitting in the mixture...