Monday, February 22, 2010

Thought for the day...

"I strongly suspect that if we saw all the difference even the tiniest of our prayers to God make, and all the people those little prayers were destined to affect, and all the consequences of those effects down through the centuries, we would be so paralyzed with awe at the power of prayer that we would be unable to get up off our knees for the rest of our lives." - Peter Kreeft

I do not know why my prayers would make a difference - I feel so inconsequential most of the time. But time and time again, I am challenged in that belief, both from reading things like this, a scripture I read, or most effectively seeing the effects of my prayers. Answers, miracles, the downright impossible... I do not understand, but I know there are many things that I will not understand in this life... yet that does not affect the truth of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for God. We love him when he answers yes. We get mad at him when he answers no; sometimes we even lose faith. We are frustrated when he says, "wait, I have a better plan". We see Jesus as the loving hand and God as the strict task master and the Holy Ghost as someone who needs to speak up louder. So, to help God feel better about his lose lose job, I often try to start my day by asking him how he is doing and pray that a miracle of goodness and love happens for him today. Sometimes when I go to bed at night I feel like I see him smile; other times I feel like he is praying I will remember to pray for him again. Prayer is a breath of God that caresses us in so many ways too numerous to understand. I have felt your prayers you have shared with me. I have prayed for you. It is not the me or you in our prayers that make a difference in each other's lives. It is the breath of God breathed through us that touches our soul. Keep praying. Prayer and God are like Mount Hood. They are always there even on cloudy days when we don't see them. All we have to do is know they are there and keep the faith. It is not for us to know their effects, just for us to let them flow through us.
(Karon Bell taught me that.)
I'm just sayin
(Shelby Friesen taught me that phrase.)

Jill said...

How do I follow that comment? Just to say that I agree. I feel your prayers often. I love when I can call you and ask you to pray and that is all you need to send an immediate prayer upward. Thank you for inspiring me to pray more often, for people I don't really want to pray for and not just for wants or needs but for thank you's too.