Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tempt-Your-Tummy Tuesday - Banana Bread

Now we are not health nuts by anyone's definition - but I am working on avoiding processed foods, mostly eliminating high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners, and making as much from scratch as I can. I try to add healthy stuff in too - like wheat germ and flax seed. I buy them in the organic section of the local Fred Meyer - they last a long time in the fridge, and they are easily added to many things , mostly unnoticed. I have enjoyed experimenting with these two and whole wheat flour, adding or substituting but still keeping a good taste, since my hubbie is not a fan of wheat breads. (he would eat Wonder bread if I let him...)

I recently found a great flour at Costco - an unbleached flour that is part white and part whole grain - it is really nice.

So, all that to say, I have adapted this recipe I received from a friend when we got married, and it makes a really great banana bread!

Banana Bread - makes 1 loaf (I almost always double it)

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 overripe bananas (I try to freeze them when they turn black - they work great for bread when I am ready to make it)
1 egg
4 Tb Milk
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour (1 1/3 unbleached white flour and 2/3 whole wheat - or to your taste)
2 Tb ground flax seed
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup nuts (optional - I never put them in....)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour one loaf pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar together.
3. Puree bananas, egg, and milk in blender until smooth.
4. Pour bananas over butter/sugar and mix well.
5. Add remaining ingredients, mix well.
6. Pour into greased and floured bread pan.
7. Take 50 min to 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Remember that banana bread turns darker than you think it should and it is NOT burnt!

These also make great muffins - bake 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments: