Well – Erica and I made it home yesterday afternoon… oh my it was a GREAT WEEK!! We had so much fun! It was so wonderful to use my nursing brain again – it took me about 24 hours to wake it up, but then it was just FUN. Thankfully the only major thing that happened was a girl threw up for a morning… yeah, believe it, it was Erica. No one else got sick… of course. Only minor injuries and complications, did send one girl home but only for anxiety.
There were 75 girls in 11 cabins, 2 counselors each, and probably another 20 leaders. And they kept saying this was a smaller group than usual!
Lunch anyone? 750 Chicken nuggets – ALL GONE.
This was the view from the dining hall – it was a beautiful week!
Campfire time – although there never was an actual campfire… The Director didn’t think it was important, whatever with that. She was wrong! There were a lot of disappointed girls!
Craft time
Us!
Swimming in the lake every day…
This is the lodge where about half the girls stayed. The lower level is the kitchen and dining hall and my office…![]()
They played LOTS of games coordinated by the amazing counselors who were there. There was a whole group of them who have been coming for years – they started as campers, then Jr Counselors, and now Sr Counselors. They were amazing with the girls – really watched how they treated each other and were SOO creative with activities and games. This one was “honey if you love me would you please smile?” Erica is a pro at this game… and I love the look I captured on her face…
Pretty sure that a Nazarene elder turned over in his grave somewhere as the girls danced to Miley Cyrus “Party in the USA” in their jammies – but it was sure fun. (even Nurse Jenn got in on the fun!)
And suddenly it was pack up and go home time… the week went so fast!
These were Erica’s counselors – Anna Banana and Emily (who wore her hair in a mohawk one day…). They were spectacular!!!
This was the group picture on the last day – gotta love the panorama setting on my little point-and-shoot. My DSLR was safe at home and wouldn't have done this anyway…
I think my favorite part of the week was being able to use this calling God gave me 19 years ago now to serve Him! I got to care for girls who don't get cared for at home, got to pray for them and watch their whole demeanor change with one deep breath, I got to laugh and cry with them, I got to Band-Aid their owies, and dig out splinters. One of my favorite moments was when I had to really dig a ROCK out of girl’s foot and when I finally got it out and she had big crocodile tears streaming down her face, the first words out of her mouth when I said “I got it!” were “Thank you, thank you SO MUCH!!!” It was an honor to be there… I already told them I would come back again next year.
1 comment:
What a blessing for you two to have enjoyed this week together - and oh so much FUN!!! Love the PICS!
Post a Comment