Well - we have made it through the first week! Oh and what a long week it was! We spent most of Monday at the doctors office and the hospital - checking her bilirubin level (jaundice) and a general checkup with our wonderful pediatrician, Dr Dana Peterson. Her bili level was essentially unchanged from Sunday - but he was concerned that she was still quite sleepy and struggling to eat. Her weight was also unchanged - 4 pounds 14 ounces!!! WOW! She is so very little.
But Dr P was concerned and wanted to put her back in the hospital to watch her more closely for weight gain and help with eating. He left it up to me but I was so tired - as if I could make an intelligent decision on that. He said "Ok - I think you can manage fine at home, but I am mostly concerned about you managing Amanda AND everything else. You need to sign out of family life for a few days at least and focus on getting rest and feeding her." So that is what I have been doing - or at least trying to anyway (what about laundry???). Leroy, bless his heart, has brought me some meals here in our room and managing the other three. I have not napped like I should have - it takes an hour or so to nurse her, then cup-feed her, then use the breast-pump. But today I should get the opportunity.
Today we went back to Dr P and Amanda weighed 5 pounds even - stark naked!! So she gained 3 ounces in 48 hours!!! I guess force-feeding her worked! Dr P said that he was worried about her on Monday but wasn't anymore. He said that unless I felt differently, he was fine to see her next at her 2 week checkup. So force feeding continues, but he also said I can lengthen her feedings to 3 hours instead of the 2 or 2 1/2 I have been doing.
Erica says "Mom, I guess we aren't going to have dinner together anymore." Hmm - I asked her what she meant by that - well, I had fed Amanda during dinner a couple of times and so she told me that she was sad that we weren't going to be eating dinner together as a family anymore. I explained that it was just a season - and wouldn't be forever. But I am going to make a point of eating with the family - it is obvious that it is very important to Erica.
Here is a short video of Amanda - with Nate's sweet voice in the background. Nothing spectacular - except a moment in time for our bonus edition.
I feel like i could write forever - so much going on in my head. But it is time to feed Amanda and then take a nap!!!
2 comments:
ooh i loved seeing her move and she just is so tiny. glad she is gaining weight. would love to talk to you, but your time is precious - go sleep!!! :)
Oh Jenn. I am so happy for you. She is a beautiful, tiny little girl. I cannot wait to meet her and visit you!
Post a Comment