Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hospital Day 2

Hello Everyone - Well, things are going well here. Spent most of today problem solving feeding - You know, I have done this 3 times before without a hitch - but I never had Amanda before!! She had a different plan for me!

The Lactation consultant came today with a specialized scale that is used to weigh before and after feeding to see exactly how much she is taking in. After 20 minutes of nursing and thinking she did really well, she had only taken in 10 ml's - 1/3 of an ounce!! She should be taking in 2 full ounces at each feeding. Boy, I was FRUSTRATED. So I spent today pumping and giving her a bottle - and she took in 2 1/2 ounces for 3 feedings! I tried nursing her tonight and she took in more, but she doesn't have it down at all. So I will continue to pump and bottle feed her and hopefully as she gets a little older and begins to put on weight, she will get the hang of nursing better.

I cheated tonight and weighed her - they said not to worry about it till morning but I had to know. She weighed almost 5#2 oz - almost 4 ounces gained since 3 this morning! So we will see what she does in the morning and go from there.

They took some labs on her to see if she has allergies to dairy or soy and we will get those back in the morning hopefully. They moved us to a better room with a regular bed and it is MUCH bigger so that is more comfortable for me anyway.

Who knows what tomorrow holds - one day at a time! Thanks for all your prayers and support - hopefully we can get back to a regular life soon!!!

You can email me at niffer2525@comcast.net - I can check email here. It is easier for me to check email than handle phone calls... Still just struggling with overload!

Jenn

No comments: