My mom gave me this recipe a few years ago and I love it!! Unfortunately I am the only one in my household who does so I don't make it very often. I made it for this year's family camp and it is always popular.
Cowboy Caviar
Tip - definitely make it the day before. It is way better after it has soaked up all the flavors.
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
1 can black eyed peas, drained
1 can black beans, drained
2-3 stalks green onion, sliced to your preference
1-2 tomatoes, cubed
1/4 cup chopped cilantro - or a handful
1 avocado, cubed
Dressing:
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1. Mix up dressing, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT avocado and stir to combine.
3. Pour dressing over ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Cover and refrigerate 8-12 hours or more to allow flavors to combine.
5. Just before serving, chop avocado and stir into the mix.
6. Serve with tortilla chips or dip chips.
7. Don't let anyone take the leftovers, it gets better by the day. The tomatoes wilt and the avocado kind of dissolves into the dressing, but the flavors get more amazing. It will last a week or more in the fridge (if you don't eat it all first)
You could add anything you like to this. Sometimes I add a 1/2 can of chopped olives, you could add couscous or bulgar or quinoa or even a small pasta. It is great on toast or in pita pockets. You could add some cayanne for a bite or more garlic.
No comments:
Post a Comment