Monday, September 20, 2010

Sometimes it works…

Nate is really ready for phonics. He has learned A and B as part of the preschool curriculum, but he is ready to move faster than one letter a week. I have a great book I am going to use, “Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading”, but I don’t have everything ready to do that yet.

Today I decided to just jump in and show him what it looks like to be reading, so he saw what he is moving toward. We have this great set of books called Bob Books – I used them for a great review with Ryan 2 years ago. They are very highly rated for early reading.

DSC01815

The books introduce a few sounds at a time and then every word in the book are made from those sounds, except for a few sight words.

DSC01816DSC01817

So I sat down with Nate just for the fun of it to see how he would do. We did ‘A’ first since he already knows that one.

Then I went up to M.

Me: “Ok, Nate – what letter is this?”

Nate: “M”

Me: “M says /m/ like….

Nate: “M says /m/ like… Banana.”

Ok – so maybe we need to do a little more work….


No comments: