So this year, I knew we needed to do something a little different. I used a written schedule for the kids last year, and while it was okay, there was something else that was needed. The checklist was too much to keep them going – they got overwhelmed and it was hard for me to monitor what had been done and, well, not done. And because there wasn’t time limits on anything, we often would spend an inordinate amount of time doing one subject and get burned out – both me and the kid.
So I had heard about this organization system called Workboxing and written it off because I could not imagine doing the system as presented with 3 kids. But my dear friend Joy sent me an email telling me she thought of me when she heard about it. Then this article about it landed in my lap… and as I researched it, I learned about adaptations that people made to it and it became more and more interesting. I have not bought the book – I dont know if I will, but the principles are pretty straightforward.
So I researched, and researched, and researched some more… cause that is what I do. Honestly, it is one of my favorite things about homeschooling.
I jumped in with both feet and ended up with this:
I bought these two hanging file rolling carts for Ryan and Erica and I already had the drawer tower that I am using for Nate. Nate has 8 drawers and E and R have 12. The idea is that I prep the folders/drawers ahead of time so that they have everything they need to do whatever they need to do, down to scissors and glue sticks, writing paper or tracing paper. Then, as they do each ‘box’, they cross off the grid (dry erase) or in Nate’s case, move the velcro cards from the front of the drawer to the grid on the side.
Whew – it is ALOT of prep work for me. I must say, though, that the difference in prep time from last night to tonight was significant, so I am sure it will only get easier. I plan a full week’s worth of ‘boxes’ on a paper, and put what is needed for each day in a folder. Then I can just set up the folders in a few minutes. Eventually, I would like to be able to stock their folders almost as they empty them, but at this point my goal is to just get through them.
Erica says to me, “Mom, you are way better at homeschooling than you used to be!” HA! I asked her why and she said that she really liked the check off grid instead of a written lesson plan that I used last year. Funny. So I guess this is a hit with her!
There were two things I heard consistently from the blogs and websites I found – 1. That this system promotes independence. Everything is laid out for them, and they are responsible for moving through each box. Of course some of them require Mom’s assistance, but much less than before. and 2. It is easier to include some of the more creative and supplementary things that I always want to add in but was never organized enough to make room for. Ryan did word finds and made a paper airplane, Erica worked on her blog and practiced typing. Today they both have some science reading books in their folders with instructions to read for 10 or 15 minutes. Nate does coloring and puzzles. I also have cards for the kids to read with each other or play games with each other.
I also started this Morning Board for the preschool aspect of our school – something fun to start off our day.
And our Memory work board -
This ‘variable’ :) is the hardest to deal with. She wants to climb on me and on the table and on her brothers constantly during the day. It is fine to a point, but there comes a moment where I just want to get through the work we are doing… PLEASE???
Well – off to do Day #3 school!
2 comments:
I can't imagine the prep work that that took to do! But it looks very organized and worth every minute! Good for you sis!
Maybe prep work can be fun for a kid to help with gathering the tools needed?
Can cousins read Erica's blog?
a
Post a Comment