Sunday, January 17, 2010

Catching up

My laptop went berzerk - the screen is all wigged out - and consequently so did I.
I took a monitor from the kids' desktop and plugged it in but it is just irritating me so much I don't even want to be on the computer!!!
Gotta call Best Buy and see if the warranty will cover this... grrrrr.

*******************************

Saturday we spent much of the day at the kids' basketball games. Erica and Ryan have joined Upward basketball and Leroy is coaching Ryan's team. They LOVE LOVE it - and are progressing very well I think. I missed their first games cause of my strep throat, but I wouldn't have missed this!

(that is her right in front with the pink pony tail holder)

Erica's game was first - she plays actual scored games where the refs do call some regular calls. But it is still working on fundamentals so they don't really call travelling or other regular calls (yeah - I am a basketball novice). Her team won 20-6! This was a nice change from last week when they played against a team that obviously had very seasoned players on it and they were totally trumped.


Ryan's team is totally training. The refs encourage kids who are carrying the ball to at least bounce the ball once and really never call anything except out of bounds and time out when 5 kids all have their hands on the ball. They do as much teaching as the coaches. Ryan is playing really well - he made a half a dozen baskets and it is FUNNY to see him with his hands up, bouncing all over the place trying to guard another player.

Last week, Leroy told me that one of the little girls on the other team would dribble the ball all the way across the court and as soon as another player stepped in front of her to block, she would look at them, smile, and hand them the ball. I wish I had been there - a mom I sat by this week said she hadn't laughed that hard in a long long time.


Leroy has sort of regretted taking on this added responsibility with all the hours he's been working and other projects he has going. But I think it has been good for him. His first love is sports of any kind, and he is a good coach. And Ryan has LOVED having his dad as his coach. Leroy has gotten a lot of appreciation from the parents and in the end, he has a good time. I bet he will do it again next season.

We were finally leaving after being there from 10:30 to 2:30 and found a TOTALLY flat tire on the truck. Thankfully, Leroy's parents were still here so between him and his dad and me, we got the spare on which was slightly flat and made it literally right around the corner to Les Schwab. They couldn't fix it but since we had bought that tire from them 2 months ago, they replaced it and we got home around 4.

Count my blessings:
1. It didn't happen while we were driving 70 mph on I5;
2. It didn't happen when I was alone with the kids;
3. They replaced the tire for free;
4. We had a DVD player in the car which occupied the kids the whole time!

No comments: