Friday, January 29, 2010

My Kids

I have to write about this before I forget to and it goes the way of so many other amazing things that happen around here that I forget to write down...

Last night as we got home from church, Nathan started throwing up - in the car of course... poor little guy - he felt so bad. Had a headache and running a fever too. I carried him inside and gave him a bath. As he was relaxing in there, I was getting Amanda ready for bed, I asked Ryan if he could go get a bed ready for Nate in our room. We have a whole routine for this that the kids know about. My heart was moved as Ryan and Erica totally jumped in and went the extra mile, with such tender concern for their brother. They were running around frantically getting everything just so - calling out orders to each other adn telling Nate what they were doing.

"Go get a bowl for him in case he throws up - but don't get one with holes in it Ryan..." (I keep the big bowls and colanders together...) - Erica

"I wrote him a get well note mom. I wanted to tell him that we love him to help him feel better." - Ryan

"I put a big blanket on his bed so he will be warm" - Ryan

"I put some extra blankets in there so if he throws up, there will be clean ones for him." - Erica

"I brought Mac and Ruvy (his stuffed monkeys) but I put them up on the chair so you don't throw up on them..." - Erica

It was absolutely precious to see my kids care for each other this way. They fight and squabble ALL the time, but when I see them scramble to care for each other and show genuine concern, I know where their hearts really lie.

And for the record, he slept through the whole night, is still running a 99 fever, but hasn't thrown up again and for the most part seems his regular self. And no one else is sick...yet.

No comments: