Monday, January 11, 2010

A Trip

Leroy has a grandmother, Crystal, who moved to Bellingham from Olympia a number of years ago and she passed away last week. Although Leroy was close to them growing up, since moving away, we have not seen her often and don't have a close relationship with this side of his family. Many of the extended family had never met our children and it had been years since we had seen the ones we did know. So we made a trip up there for the funeral yesterday, as well as to see extended family. Before my Bellingham-ite family bust me out for not seeing them when we were up there, we left straight from church, made it up there just in time for one service, went to a hotel, and then got up and went to the next service and turned around and came home.

I left the funeral, having heard stories about Crystal from those who knew her closely in the last few years, with this sense that she was someone I really didn't know. I mean I had a sense of her and had heard many stories about her, but I had an overwhelming feeling that there was more to her than what I had heard. I am pretty sure that I missed out by not getting to know her. This sounds trite, but I do mean it when I say I am thankful that I WILL see her in heaven someday when I get there, and get to know her then.

So God asks me - Who else in your life are you missing out on because you have preconcieved opinions, misconceptions, or downright wrong beliefs about?

No comments: