Monday, April 26, 2010

A Garden!!!

I have wanted a garden for YEARS!! At our old house, we were so covered with trees that NOTHING grew except moss. It was awful. I tried tulips but they grew to almost 2 feet tall at a 45 degree angle with one lone leaf and a tiny little flower. They were SOOO starved for sunshine. So when we moved here with nary a tree on the property and in full sun - I was so excited to have a garden. Our yard has been a work in progress - still is, but I finally have my garden!

I started it last weekend and had a wonderful helper -


We got this done in 2 hours:


Then Ryan helped me and we had this:


And now it looks like this:

We planted chives, basil, oregano, carrots, lettuce, beans and flowers. We will pick up some tomatoes this week as well as some other seeds. I want to plant potatoes in a garbage sack and the kids really want to do pumpkins and watermelon. Oh my - here I go, jumping in with both feet!!!

The only unknown is how to keep the deer away. We haven't seen them but a few times in the last year, but as my friend said "plant things and they will come..." Anyone have any creative ideas to keep them at bay? (besides the obvious - a fence... hopefully that will happen sometime this summer.) I may just take to sleeping outside with a big stick - screaming in the middle of the night, "Stay away from my precious garden!!"

5 comments:

Daniel W. Slocum said...

Can't say I've done this to prove it works but I hear human hair and urine keep the deer at bay. I know you have little ones.. might not be the trick for you. :)

LilPrecious said...

LOVE your garden! I want a garden - sadly we have concrete for a backyard but I am hoping to grow some herbs and maybe tomatoes (in pots) because James really wants to grow SOMETHING!!

Sonja said...

Looks like you are doing "square foot gardening". The grid says it all! ;-) Let me know how it goes.

Pam and Steve said...

Boxes look real good Nif. You might want to fill them higher though, the dirt will settle a lot. Looking forward to seeing them whenever we can get up there.
love ya, DAD

Cindy said...

Did YOU build the boxes? How did you do that? What is "square foot gardening"? Great job, guys! You'll have to post pictures to show the progress as the plants grow and produce PRODUCE!