Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tempt-Your-Tummy - Apple Cake

Ok - this is another good one. My husband has started bragging on me big time cause these recipes are turning out so well. Hey - I just find good recipes! I am having SUCH a wonderful time baking and trying new things. Now that I have my new fantabulous camera - I should start taking pictures of my creations...

A friend of mine asked me for a coffee cake recipe - and as I was emailing her my favorites, I found this one that I had saved a while back to try. I was given a mix for an Apple Cake a while back and it was YUM! But I knew there had to be a scratch recipe out there and this one is fantastic.

A little fall-ish with the apples and cinnamon - but this is great any time of year as far as I am concerned.

Adapted from Apple Cake I (there are lots of great ideas for modifications in the comments to this recipe - that is why I modified it as I did.)

Ingredients

2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cups white sugar
2/3 cups brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups diced apple with or without peel

Streusel Topping (optional)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons margarine or butter.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour one 9x13 inch cake pan (or two 9" rounds).
2. Beat vegetable oil, applesauce and eggs until foamy. Add the sugar, flour, spices, baking, soda, salt, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the diced apples. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, less for 2 pans.
4. Topping: combine flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, then spread streusel topping evenly over cake. Return to oven to cook for remainder of time.
4. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Refrigerate or freeze remaining cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!!!
a