Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tempt-Your-Tummy Tuesday - Green Rice

A new favorite in our house - Green Rice. Erica could eat rice every day for the rest of her life and she would be happy! The rest of us like it too so this makes for a great side dish. And it makes a lot, so there is plenty of left-overs, perfect for Erica and for Leroy to take to work!

Green Rice:

1 1/4 cups uncooked rice (NOT Minute Rice, we like Jasmine Rice)
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
12 oz package frozen spinach. You can add more if you like. Or use cooked Broccoli.
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - or more to taste, or add shredded parmesean - YUM!

1. Cook rice as directed on package.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Spray a 9x13 casserole pan.
4. Put rice in large bowl.
5. Add milk, egg, spices and spinach; mix well.
6. Add cheese and mix until evenly distributed.
7. Spread evenly in pan.
8. Cook 30 minutes or until set in the middle.

The original recipe is here. There are LOTS of great tips for how to do it a little different. For me, I found that a little extra moisture is good - so I have been adding the spinach juice to it. You could mess with the spices too - the original recipe had none, so we have been adding extra to get it right. Next time I think I might add minced garlic too. Leroy always adds more to it on his plate. He also thinks that American Cheese or Velveeta would make it better - but I am catagorically opposed to that stuff they call cheese - so someone else will have to try it and let me know.

No comments: