Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk
Mix these together and then add:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
mix again and then add:
1 cup flour or whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
mix until combined. Pour into greased or lined muffin tin. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 12 muffins
******************************************
I doubled the recipe - a dangerous thing to do with the first time I make a recipe. But it was a good choice. So I used 1 cup of regular white unbleached flour and then in the second cup, I added 1 T of ground up flax seed and 2 T Wheat germ, then filled the rest with whole wheat flour.
And you know how to make buttermilk, right? In case you don't... put 1 TB of vinegar or lemon juice in a cup measure, and add milk to make 1 cup. If you warm it, it will totally seperate and make you want to gag - but don't worry - it makes WONDERFUL baking!
And because I have a texture-sensitive child (Erica) who I know does not like the texture of oatmeal, I put the oatmeal in my little food processor and gave it a good grind. I didn't totally pulverize it - just ground the flakes down. It worked! First of all I called them Breakfast Muffins so she didn't have a preconceived notion of them, and after she had gobbled up 2 of them saying "YUM MOM!!! Now what are they?" I told her. But I explained that I ground it up and after recovering from the initial shock, she admitted again that they were yum!
The oil gave a really nice crunchy edge to the muffins, but next time I think I might sub 1/2 the oil with applesauce and then add 1 t cinnamon and 1/4 t nutmeg. We are BIG fans of that fall-ish apple flavor.
*** Amazing Factoid - even my husband who HATES/ABHORS/DETESTS Oatmeal and who also does not care for whole wheat, really enjoyed these. ***
No comments:
Post a Comment